Principal Aero-Thermal Engineer
We are seeking a Principal Aero-Thermal Engineer to join our rapidly growing team developing a revolutionary hydrogen-electric powertrain. You will play a leading role in developing the air and thermal management systems required to integrate new technologies including hydrogen fuel cell systems and megawatt-scale electric motors for the first time in commercial aviation. You will actively participate in our pioneering flight test campaign culminating in the entry into service of the world’s first zero-emissions regional aircraft. You will be working within a tight-knit and multidisciplinary team to rapidly iterate the design and testing of this cutting-edge hydrogen-electric powertrain for aircraft.
About the Role
- Lead the development of air and thermal management systems for our hydrogen-electric powertrain.
- Develop models predicting the performance of these systems, from coarse ‘back of the envelope calculations to detailed simulations.
- Participate in ground and flight test campaigns to validate the performance of the systems you designed in an integrated environment.
- On an ongoing basis, support design reviews and trade studies at the aircraft level.
- Demonstrated expertise in sizing, specifying, and designing aero-thermal components such as radiators, intercoolers, compressors, or coolant pumps.
- Experience taking a system from concept to reality in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for aviation, clean tech, and eagerness to make a carbon-free flight a reality.
- Hands-on mechanical experience working on test articles.
- Familiarity with certification requirements (FAR25, DO160) is a plus.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and convey detailed technical concepts in a clear and concise manner.
As a California-based startup with a burgeoning engineering center in France, we provide solutions for both the hydrogen supply chain and aircrafts. On the supply chain end, this includes a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. For aircrafts, we are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation. And we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We're cultivating an atmosphere that encourages bold thinking, climate change driven action, and goal-achieving collaboration. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at one of our facilities at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or Toulouse, France.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equality, and long-term employee well-being while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all employees, employer-paid health insurance stipend, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly offices, catered lunch, unlimited paid time off, generous paid holidays, and 401k with match. As a start-up company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we offer and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
Our total compensation for this position can range from $123,000-$188,400. The ranges provided are our reasonable estimate of the base and total compensation for this role. The actual amounts may vary based on factors such as experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities related to the position.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).