Director of Business Development
Sales & Business Development
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2024
Agtonomy is a hybrid autonomy and tele-assist service platform that turns tractors and other equipment into autonomous machines. A robust sensor suite and custom software stack enable remote modes of operation with a higher margin of safety than conventional equipment. Agtonomy, through its OEM partners, will address both local agriculture skilled labor shortages and broader land maintenance operations, including wildfire prevention through land clearing.
As the Director of Business Development, you will play a pivotal role in expanding our market presence by identifying, establishing, and nurturing partnerships with equipment and implement manufacturers, technology companies, and other partners to support Agtonomy’s solution in agriculture and broader industrial markets. Leveraging your extensive experience in agriculture (or relevant industrial markets) and business acumen, you will drive revenue growth, enhance our product offerings, and contribute to the company's long-term success. This role sits at the intersection of our business, engineering, and farming services teams, leading revenue generation for the company in its early days. This position will report directly to the COO.
What you'll be doing:
- Research, identify, and target potential OEM, implement and other technology/data partners that align with our business objectives and values.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive business development strategy to establish and grow strong relationships.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with internal teams, including product development, marketing, and sales, to align partnership objectives and ensure successful execution.
- Negotiate partnership agreements, terms, and pricing to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes for both parties.
- Analyze market trends, competitor activity, and customer needs to identify new opportunities and drive innovation within our product offerings.
- Create compelling presentations and pitch materials to effectively communicate the value proposition of partnering with Agtonomy.
- Foster long-term relationships with key stakeholders with potential partners, including C-level executives, product managers, and technical teams.
- Monitor and track key performance indicators (KPIs) related to partnerships, providing regular updates and reports to the leadership team.
- Attend industry events, conferences, and trade shows to network, build relationships, and stay informed about market trends.
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor's degree, equivalent combination of education/work experience preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in business development, specifically focused on partnerships within the agricultural sector (or closely related industrial vertical)
- Proven track record of successfully establishing and managing strategic partnerships that drive revenue growth.
- Strong understanding of manufacturer business models, industry trends, and customer needs.
- Exceptional negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to gather and interpret market data to inform decision-making.
- Self-motivated and proactive with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel as needed for business development meetings and events.
- Highly collaborative mindset and strong communication skills
- Data-driven approach to taking learnings from the field to the business
- Computer skills and fluency in Google tools, Slack, and various other technology tools
What makes you a strong fit:
- You are passionate about agriculture and believe in bringing new technology and solutions to farmers.
- You’ve worked in agriculture or industrial environments
- You are generally curious and ask questions to better understand customers’ needs and want to find solutions that make a difference for the world.
RECRUITERS: We are NOT accepting agency resumes for this position. Please do not forward or submit resumes through our website or directly to any of our employees.