Principal Scientist - Catalysis
AIR COMPANY is the world's-leading carbon utilization company, creating consumer and industrial products from carbon dioxide (CO2). Our mission is to address the dramatic surge in atmospheric carbon levels to ensure long-term planetary health and life on Earth. To curb emissions that affect climate change, AIR COMPANY has invented a proprietary power-to-liquids technology that mimics the recipe of photosynthesis. Using only renewable energy, our systems convert captured CO2 into carbon-negative alcohols and fuels with just oxygen as a byproduct. These CO2-based chemicals are then applied to a variety of consumer and industrial products, helping to decarbonize entire economic ecosystems.
Through carbon technology innovation, AIR COMPANY is creating a profound shift in the sustainable production standards across industries of all kinds. With three carbon-negative consumer products brought to-market thus far (AIR Vodka, AIR Eau de Parfum and AIR Hand Sanitizer), AIR COMPANY is moving towards world-scale impact with its latest innovation: CO2-derived sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Since its inception, AIR COMPANY has won an incredible amount of highly acclaimed awards including TIME Best Inventions, Fast Company World Changing Ideas, the NASA CO2 Conversion Challenge, R&D World’s R&D 100, and most recently, the Keeling Curve Prize.
About Air Company
AIR COMPANY is the world’s leading carbon utilization company, creating consumer and industrial products from carbon dioxide (CO2). The company’s patented and proprietary Carbon Conversion Reactor mimics photosynthesis, using only air (CO2), water and sun (renewable energy) to create carbon-negative alcohols and fuels from CO2.
With three consumer products (AIR Vodka, AIR Hand Sanitizer, and AIR Eau de Parfum) brought to market thus far, AIR COMPANY is moving towards world-scale impact with its latest innovation – CO2-derived sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). The company’s AIRMADE SAF will be certified by the Roundtable on Sustainable Biomaterials (RSB) and the International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC). Amongst a number of accomplishments, AIR COMPANY has received $40MM in venture capital funding to date and won an incredible amount of highly acclaimed awards: TIME Best Inventions, Fast Company World Changing Ideas, the NASA CO2 Conversion Challenge, R&D World’s R&D 100, and most recently, the Keeling Curve Prize, among others. AIR COMPANY is the future of carbon technologies. It is redefining what a regenerative future that works with nature, rather than against it, could look like.
We are looking for a Principal Catalyst Scientist to join our team. This person will report directly to our Director, Chemistry. This position will focus on the design, synthesis, testing, and scale up of novel carbon dioxide conversion catalysts. This role will fall within our R&D department, but will closely work with our engineers and operators in our Engineering department. This role will be located at Air Company’s R&D lab in Brooklyn, NY.
Candidates will have rich industrial experience in heterogeneous catalyst design, synthesis and testing with oxide and/or zeolite catalysis experience. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of experience in catalyst development for industrial applications in an industrial environment in an industrial environment in an industrial environment, with a proven track record of successfully commercialized multiple catalysts.
At Air Company we value employees for their unique perspectives. We are an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer we consider applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The range for this role is $160,000-$200,000. Exact compensation may vary based on the market, experience, skills and technical expertise.
- Lead the research, development, optimization, and commercialization of catalysts for industrial processes.
- Conduct in-depth research and development activities to identify new catalyst formulations, synthesis methods, and process technologies to improve catalyst performance, stability, and selectivity.
- Design and execute complex experiments, analyze and interpret data, and generate technical reports and presentations to communicate results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including engineers, chemists, and process scientists, to support the scale-up and commercialization efforts of catalyst technologies, ensuring seamless transfer from lab-scale to commercial-scale production.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to junior scientists and engineers, and actively contribute to the development of a strong technical team.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in catalyst science and technology through literature review, attendance at conferences, and collaboration with external partners.
- Collaborate with customers, partners, and other stakeholders to understand their catalyst requirements, provide technical expertise, and support business development efforts.
- Maintain a safe and compliant working environment, adhering to all relevant regulations, standards, and guidelines.
- PhD in Chemistry, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, or related field with a minimum of 10 years of experience in an industrial catalyst development and scale-up environment, or Master's degree with equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of successfully scaling catalysts from lab-scale to commercial-scale production, with a deep understanding of catalyst synthesis methods, characterization techniques, and process optimization.
- Strong expertise in industrial catalyst design, synthesis, characterization, and evaluation, with a solid understanding of catalyst structure-activity relationships.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to design and execute complex experiments and interpret data to make informed decisions.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to mentor and develop junior scientists and engineers.
- Familiarity with relevant regulations, safety practices, and intellectual property considerations in industrial catalyst development.