Manager, Intellectual Property
AIR COMPANY is the world's-leading carbon utilization company, creating consumer and industrial products from carbon dioxide (CO2). Our mission is to address the dramatic surge in atmospheric carbon levels to ensure long-term planetary health and life on Earth. To curb emissions that affect climate change, AIR COMPANY has invented a proprietary power-to-liquids technology that mimics the recipe of photosynthesis. Using only renewable energy, our systems convert captured CO2 into carbon-negative alcohols and fuels with just oxygen as a byproduct. These CO2-based chemicals are then applied to a variety of consumer and industrial products, helping to decarbonize entire economic ecosystems.
Through carbon technology innovation, AIR COMPANY is creating a profound shift in the sustainable production standards across industries of all kinds. With three carbon-negative consumer products brought to-market thus far (AIR Vodka, AIR Eau de Parfum and AIR Hand Sanitizer), AIR COMPANY is moving towards world-scale impact with its latest innovation: CO2-derived sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Since its inception, AIR COMPANY has won an incredible amount of highly acclaimed awards including TIME Best Inventions, Fast Company World Changing Ideas, the NASA CO2 Conversion Challenge, R&D World’s R&D 100, and most recently, the Keeling Curve Prize.
We are seeking a Manager, Intellectual Property to join our team. This role will report to our CTO/Co-Founder. This position will be responsible for drafting and preparing patent applications, conducting thorough research, and collaborating with technical experts to gather necessary information . This role is based in Brooklyn, NY.
What you get to do
- Draft and prepare high-quality patent applications for AIR COMPANY technologies in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines.
- Conduct comprehensive research to understand the invention's technical aspects, prior art, and existing patents.
- Collaborate with inventors, attorneys, and technical experts to gather information and ensure accurate representation of the invention.
- Analyze technical information and complex concepts to develop clear and concise patent claims.
- Review and revise patent application drafts to ensure accuracy, clarity, and adherence to legal requirements.
- Assist in responding to office actions, examiner's objections, and other correspondence related to patent applications.
- Stay updated on patent laws, regulations, and best practices to ensure compliance and maximize the effectiveness of patent applications.
What you bring to AIR COMPANY
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant scientific or engineering field.
- 5+ years’ experience in patent writing, drafting, or related roles, preferably in a law firm, corporate legal department, or intellectual property consultancy.
- Excellent research skills, with the ability to analyze technical information and prior art.
- Strong knowledge of patent laws, regulations, and procedures.
- Advanced degrees (Master's, J.D or Ph.D.) are preferred.
Salary Range: $120,000- $180,000
The approximate annual base compensation range and benefits listed above may vary based on the applicant's experience, skills, abilities, and relevant industry expertise.
At Air Company we value employees for their unique perspectives. We are an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women, marginalized genders and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At AIR COMPANY we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles
Working at Air Company
In addition to standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we are:
- A people-first, climate solutions company driven to move society to a more sustainable future
- A unified team of climate optimists with an exceptional and diverse range of backgrounds
- Committed to fostering collaboration with a team that believes in the power of science and that business can be used as a force for good…
We also provide:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. 100% of paid premiums for employees.
- Flexible and generous paid time off, including national holidays and sick leave
- Commuter Benefits: Pre-Tax Income for MassTransit
- Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored company events and DEI social initiatives
- Catered meals