Technical LCA Specialist
At AIR COMPANY we are paving a pathway to global decarbonization by transforming CO₂ into endless resources via industrial scale applications. Working with nature, rather than against it, our proprietary AIRMADE™ Technology mimics photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide and water via renewable energy into carbon-negative chemicals and fuels.
We have commercial partnerships with airlines including JetBlue and Virgin Atlantic, amongst others, and have been awarded multiple government contracts from NASA and the United States Department of Defense. AIR COMPANY has received industry recognition through awards such as Time Best Inventions, Fast Company World Changing Ideas and the XPRIZE for Carbon Removal.
We are proudly headquartered in New York City and co-founded by Gregory Constantine (CEO) and Dr. Stafford Sheehan (CTO). Our team spans a diverse group of world-leading experts in chemistry, engineering and technological development and deployment. AIR COMPANY is backed by capital partners aligned with the company’s mission to boldly transform industry including the US Department of Defense, NASA, Toyota Ventures, JetBlue Ventures and Carbon Direct.
We are seeking a Technical LCA Specialist to join our team. This role will be responsible for conducting Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) for a variety of AIR COMPANY’s and our competitors’ products for different business and regulatory needs. This position will be part of the Engineering Science group but will be working closely with the company’s government, ESG, and commercial teams. The LCA Specialist will be relied on for all company’s technical LCA needs. Experience working with LCA frameworks such as GREET is crucial, as well as the ability to learn other established and emerging LCA frameworks.This role is based in New York, NY.
What you get to do
- Conduct Life-Cycle Analysis for fuels, chemicals, and feedstocks (e.g., SAF, hydrogen) according to various LCA methodologies
- Develop and maintain subject-matter expertise on LCA accounting according to the following frameworks:
- NETL CO2U LCA
- Argonne GREET
- Other national, state, local, or voluntary regulations, as applicable
- Develop process flow schemes and perform process simulation to obtain mass and energy balance in supporting the LCA analysis
- Develop and prepare for submission LCAs for various policy and regulatory requirements according to specific policy guidelines
- Provide LCA data for federal government funding applications as needed
- Support the Government Affairs and ESG team with LCA-related policy needs in emerging regulatory and voluntary frameworks
- Assist relevant teams with process and feedstock considerations from the perspective of LCA impacts
- Support ESG efforts by tracking GHG emissions from the company’s facilities and operations
What you bring to AIR COMPANY
- Bachelor’s degree with chemical engineering focus or related engineering fields
- Strong chemical and fuel process simulation experience with excellent skills on process simulators such as Aspen Plus, UNISIM, HYSYS, etc.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience conducting LCAs for low carbon fuels or chemicals
- Knowledge of, or background in, sustainable aviation fuel, ethanol, biofuel production processes, renewable energy, fuel life-cycle analysis and techno-economic modeling preferred.
- Experience developing LCA for regulatory/policy compliance, preferably with track record of successful LCA submissions to the federal or state government
- Previous experience with LCA ISO standards:
- ISO 14040 and ISO 14044
- Masters degree preferred
Salary Range: $95,000- $115,000
The approximate annual base compensation range and benefits listed above may vary based on the applicant's experience, skills, abilities, and relevant industry expertise.
At Air Company we value employees for their unique perspectives. We are an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women, marginalized genders and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At AIR COMPANY we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles
Working at Air Company
In addition to standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we are:
- A people-first, climate solutions company driven to move society to a more sustainable future
- A unified team of climate optimists with an exceptional and diverse range of backgrounds
- Committed to fostering collaboration with a team that believes in the power of science and that business can be used as a force for good…
We also provide:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. 100% of paid premiums for employees.
- Flexible and generous paid time off, including national holidays and sick leave
- A tax deferred 401(k) Plan to invest in your future
- Commuter Benefits: Pre-Tax Income for MassTransit
- Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored company events and DEI social initiatives
- Catered meals