Principal Engineer I, Sustainable Fuels
At AIR COMPANY we are paving a pathway to global decarbonization by transforming CO₂ into endless resources via industrial scale applications. Working with nature, rather than against it, our proprietary AIRMADE™ Technology mimics photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide and water via renewable energy into carbon-negative chemicals and fuels.
We have commercial partnerships with airlines including JetBlue and Virgin Atlantic, amongst others, and have been awarded multiple government contracts from NASA and the United States Department of Defense. AIR COMPANY has received industry recognition through awards such as Time Best Inventions, Fast Company World Changing Ideas and the XPRIZE for Carbon Removal.
We are proudly headquartered in New York City and co-founded by Gregory Constantine (CEO) and Dr. Stafford Sheehan (CTO). Our team spans a diverse group of world-leading experts in chemistry, engineering and technological development and deployment. AIR COMPANY is backed by capital partners aligned with the company’s mission to boldly transform industry including the US Department of Defense, NASA, Toyota Ventures, JetBlue Ventures and Carbon Direct.
We are seeking a Technology Specialist, Sustainable Fuels to join our team. In this role, you will be a key player in developing and commercializing Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) production technologies as part of our dedicated focus on decarbonization and greener earth. This position will contribute to leading the new technology development and commercialization of sustainable aviation fuel, and realization of business value across the internal and external stakeholders. This position will report to our Director, Development within the RD&E organization. This role is based at the Air Innovation Center (AIC) in Brooklyn, NY.
What you get to do
As a Technology Specialist, Sustainable Fuels, you will lead pilot plant development and experimental data analysis working closely with the Engineering Science and Catalysis/Research groups to develop reactor and process scale-up models, process and reactor simulation, analytical testing, and synthesize/generate process flow diagrams for the new technologies. You will be primarily responsible for experimental schemes and data on mass and energy balance, as well as process optimization in order to prepare a basic engineering design (BED) and related documentation. You will partner with the Engineering department, which will be your internal customer to support creation of final PFDs, P&IDs and Engineering Design Packages. You will ensure safe operation of pilot plant activities and pro-actively participate in Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) reviews.
- Lead cross-functional technology development team in the field of sustainable aviation fuel by following Air Company’s stage gate review system. Follow new technology development project schedules and timelines.
- Build pilot plants with pilot plant design group and outside pilot plant fabrication shops to support the new technology development. Give clear instructions to the pilot plant operations group to run the pilot plants.
- Work with Catalyst group, Engineering Science group and Engineering Department to select the right reactor and downstream separations for new catalysts and new processes, and develop reactor and process scale up models, and process ASPEN simulation models.
- Support and advise on the preparation or review of various engineering deliverables such as PFDs, P&IDs, process datasheets, equipment specifications, process simulations or design calculations.
- Review technology licensors basic engineering design packages (BDEP/PDP), validation studies, sizing & selection of equipment, control philosophies, start-up and shutdown procedures, operations & maintenance protocols, etc.
- Participate in HAZOP and other safety related studies and discussions.
- Provide technical and process engineering input into the management of change (MOC).
- Work with the commercial department to set the direction of future technology development and technology roadmap in the field of SAF.
- Support technology sales activities by presenting the new technology to outside customers and conferences. Join the sales trips with people from sales and/or sales support group.
- Ensuring compliance with (the most recent) technical specifications, codes, and standards.
- Participate in risk assessments and meetings with PMC and EPC Contractor.
- Aid in advanced troubleshooting of the customer issues at their plants when necessary.
What you bring to AIR COMPANY
- B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in refining, chemical, petrochemical, or energy industry
- 5+ years of experience in a technology development environment
- Proven track of leading new technology from lab to commercialization successfully
- Demonstrated strong capability of customer engagement and business acumen
- Demonstrated technology leadership skills and familiarity with stage gate review system
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, proactive, outspoken, and a strong team player
- Strong passion for new technology development and green chemistry
- You are a strong candidate if you have demonstrated experience in working or developing Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) technology either as an individual contributor or as part of the core team.
Salary Range: $150,000 - $180,000/year
The approximate annual base compensation range and benefits listed above may vary based on the applicant's experience, skills, abilities, and relevant industry expertise.
At Air Company we value employees for their unique perspectives. We are an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women, marginalized genders and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At AIR COMPANY we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles
Working at Air Company
In addition to standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we are:
- A people-first, climate solutions company driven to move society to a more sustainable future
- A unified team of climate optimists with an exceptional and diverse range of backgrounds
- Committed to fostering collaboration with a team that believes in the power of science and that business can be used as a force for good…
We also provide:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. 100% coverage of employee insurance premiums, and 50% coverage of spouse & dependent insurance premiums.
- Flexible and generous paid time off, including national holidays and sick leave
- A tax deferred 401(k) Plan to invest in your future
- Commuter Benefits: Pre-Tax Income for MassTransit
- Paid Family Leave
- Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored company events and DEI social initiatives
- Friday catered meals