Robot Support Engineer (West Coast)
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2023
Burro is the leading robotics company in the world by number of robots working outdoors in the field with real customers. Our mission is to free people from tedious work and solve the critical labor shortages faced by farmers and others that work outdoors.
To accomplish our mission, we need a world-class, diverse team where everyone feels comfortable sharing their ideas. With this in mind, we strive to create a work environment where every employee can be themselves and express their perspective – this enables us to deliver the most creative and innovative solutions to problems our customers face.
Headquartered in Philadelphia with an office in central California, and backed by top Agtech and autonomy investors, including S2G, Cibus, FPrime, Toyota Ventures, FFVC, Xplorer, and Radicle, Burro was created to solve the labor shortages facing farmers using robotics.
Burros can be described as Disney's Wall-E for agriculture and work outdoors, in a 1.0 format. They function, today, as computer vision based autonomous ground vehicles for carrying, towing, and scouting, and are designed to lay the base for the fully autonomous future of work outdoors. We have a growing triple digit fleet deployed in paid commercial use within vineyards, nurseries, berries, and beyond, and demand for our product is accelerating, so we are growing our team.
As the critical conduit between customers and design engineering, the Robot Support Engineer is responsible for:
1. Level 1 technical support for the field team to ensure our robots are operating nominally and we achieve a sufficient machine up-time level to deliver a compelling value proposition to customers (keep the machines running)
2. Analyze and prioritize issues or symptoms observed in the field to ensure design engineering team is working on improvements with the highest customer impact
- Triage high severity failures with and as part of the field support team to improve machine up-time
- Analyze robot diagnostic data to identify control limits for pre-emptive corrective actions
- Assess fleet performance, cluster similar failure modes, prioritize issues for engineering, and assign issue resolution tasks to appropriate team members
- Work with our engineering team to develop scalable fleet operations and diagnostic tools to enable remote support for 1000s of machines
- Influence engineering development timeline
- Support and coordinate software deployment process across the fleet
- Communicate the voice of the customer internally
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or a closely related field
- 2+ years relevant experience in robotics, technical customer support, fleet operations/management, and/or requirements gathering
- Familiarity with autonomous mobility technology, such as computer vision and other sensors, RTK GPS, electrical systems (including charging and batteries), mechanical systems
- Exceptional responsiveness and communication skills; ability to excel at time-sensitive tasks
- Ability to think like the customer, prioritize issues, and influence others to bring issues to closure
- Self-starter able to take initiative and work independently
- Experience debugging hardware and software
- Flexible work schedule (willing to support customers operating in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia)
- Experience utilizing software tools such as JIRA, Airtable, Formant, AWS, and others
- Understanding of systems built in a ROS framework
- Comfortable developing code written in C++ & Python
- Familiarity with electrical and mechanical repairs processes and tools (splicing, soldering, motor/gearbox diagnostics and repair, etc.)
- Desire to grow into a leadership role as the team scales
- Conversational Spanish
- Competitive salary and benefits package (medical/dental/vision)
- 401K Plan
- Early-stage equity
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid parental leave
RECRUITERS: We are not accepting agency resumes for this position. Please do not forward or submit resumes through our website or to any of our employees directly. Burro is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes from recruitment agencies.