Sr. Vice President of Engineering
Travel Required: 25-50%
Recogni’s mission is to design a vision-oriented artificial intelligence system for autonomous vehicles from the ground up. The system will deliver unprecedented inference performance through novel edge processing, allowing vehicles to see farther and make driving decisions faster than humans while consuming minimal amounts of energy. We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Recogni’s enormous potential.
Backed by Celesta Capital, Continental, Robert Bosch, GreatPoint Ventures, Toyota AI Ventures, BMW i Ventures, The Mayfield Fund, and other leading VC partners, the company is headquartered in San Jose, California with additional operations in Munich, Germany. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow - whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Sr. VP of Engineering to lead and manage the Engineering team for Recogni. This position reports directly to the Head of Engineering.
As the Sr VP of Engineering, you will play a critical role driving organizational clarity, product development and alignment across multiple teams, functions, and geographies to ensure timely successful execution of key corporate programs.
The responsibilities of the Sr. VP of Engineering position include leading and mentoring mid-level directors and managers who in turn manage various skill sets of engineers, operations, and technicians, collaborating with product managers, and improving company policies, procedures and standards for predictable R&D execution.
To be successful as a Sr. VP of Engineering, you should have prior organizational leadership experience managing managers of managers, be able to collaborate with team members, up to date with modern software (Enterprise Cloud SaaS) and hardware development and operational methodologies, and be a strategic problem-solver. Ultimately, a top-notch Sr. VP of Engineering should demonstrate excellent communication skills, an ability to connect with other engineers and developers, and have a solid foundation in modern software and hardware design.
You will be tasked with building a world-class engineering department. We will utilize your experience to grow, mentor, and establish better practices for our engineering teams (software and hardware) specifically regarding our design practices, CI/CD and infrastructure tooling, product testing, engineering documentation, and ultimately creating a culture of engineering excellence..
Our team's success is dependent on your ability to contribute to our innovative product vision and combine engineering expertise with project management execution. Your talent and expertise in design will be crucial for positive outcomes. Your satisfaction will come from your ability to keep up with and enjoy the high pace of a rapidly growing company. You will be leaned upon to ensure your organization provides top-tier engineering design and operations that meet production, quality, and desired company standards.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- 10+ years of demonstrated success in managing a high functioning engineering team - coaching, developing, and elevating team skill sets.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing ambitious, strategic, and operationally complex projects with internal and external cross-functional teams.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills to work with both engineering and non-technical stakeholders.
- Analytical, big picture thinker with ability to influence senior executives and cross-functional teams.
- Experience managing successful end-to-end lifecycle of technical projects.
- Strong technical aptitude and knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver to deadlines.
- Experience directly managing a small team.
Deep knowledge and/or experience in or more of the following areas highly desired:
- ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) or other Automotive technologies.
- Experience managing the design and development of products that contain both HW & SW.
- Functional Safety ISO 26262
- AI/ML (Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning).
- Manufacturing and product quality processes, data systems, and tools.
- Manufacturing equipment automation.
- SMART Project/Program Management, environment challenges, and improvement initiatives.
- Experience in areas such as release management, cost modeling, or capacity planning.
Reasons to consider joining Recogni:
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; be part of shaping one of the most exciting new companies.
- Learning and development opportunities from a highly diverse and talented peer group, including experts in a wide range of fields, from Artificial Intelligence & Computer Vision to Systems & Device Engineering.
- Competitive benefits package including 401k, Medical+Dental+Vision+Life insurance, and Short+Long Term Disability coverage
- Perks including meals, snacks, drinks and us!
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- Employee Stock Plan
- Flexible work hours & generous PTO policy
Recogni's culture was built on the following values that are equally important to us as business:
- Put people first. We only succeed when our people succeed.
- Ethics and integrity always; Being open, honest, and respectful of everyone.
- Think Big. Be ambitious and have audacious goals.
- Aim for excellence. Quality and excellence count in everything we do.
- Own it and get it done. Results matter!
- Make Each Person Better together than they would be as an individual.
- Embrace each others’ differences.
- Embrace that there will be differences.
Recogni is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that a diverse team is better at tackling complex problems and coming up with innovative solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
A note to Recruitment Agencies: Please don’t reach out to Recogni employees or leaders about our roles -- we’ve got it covered. We don’t accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you for your understanding.
Something looks off?