Electrical Design Engineer
A thriving economy in space is needed to make life on Earth more vibrant, sustainable, and equitable. Space technology will enable global access to information, solutions to climate change, answers to global food security, products that transform healthcare, clean energy production, and more. Today, rocket launch options are slow, expensive, and unreliable. Stoke is building the world’s most efficient fully and rapidly reusable rocket designed to fly daily that will radically increase access to space and open up the space economy to safeguard our precious home, Earth.
The avionics system is the backbone of highly reusable, operable, and reliable space systems. As the Electrical Design Engineer at an early-stage start-up you will be responsible for flight hardware, from conception through build, qualification, and ultimately flight operations. You will work closely with the rest of the development team and other stakeholders to design and implement the avionics architecture, and continuously iterate and improve your designs. You will seek out state-of-the-art solutions to difficult problems and you will assist in the definition of company standards for avionics development. You must be ready to stay focused, move fast, self-direct, and learn on the fly.
- Lead the design, procurement, development, qualification, and integration of avionics components
- Perform component selection, design analysis, schematic capture, layout, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, circuit validation, and design documentation for electrical designs
- Assist with electrical architecture, product requirements, manufacturing planning, and production test
- Execute development and qualification testing campaigns to exercise designs to their limits and ensure reliable flight hardware
- Work with experts from other teams and departments to ensure that fielded systems perform their function while being efficient, manufacturable, and reliable; challenge assumptions and build strong professional relationships
- Participate in engine and vehicle integrated test and launch operations
- B.S. degree in electrical engineering or equivalent on the job experience
- 2+ years of experience designing, building, or testing circuit boards or other electronics (research and extracurricular academic projects qualify)
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Experience with system trades and first-hand knowledge of how requirements tie hardware to larger systems
- Experience designing signal conditioning and analog circuits, digital circuits, and switching power converters
- Experience with schematic capture and board layout, preferably in Altium
- Familiarity with circuit simulation tools and analysis methods
- Familiarity with lab equipment for development testing of circuits and components
- Capable of board level rework in support of development testing
- Basic first principles understanding of EMI/EMC and common best practices for design
- Familiarity with design-for-manufacture and design-for-cost
- Capable of writing software for test automation, data review, and design analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Ability to lead
- Ability to follow
- Medical, dental, vision and basic life insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible scheduling
- Level 3 Range: $120,900 - $181,300
Our job posts are intentionally written to attract a wide variety of experience levels, and we make decisions about the right fit on a per-candidate basis.
Your actual level and base salary will be decided based on your specific experience and skill level.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including with respect to disability and veteran status. It is committed to compliance with all equal opportunity laws, including the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and Title VII. It does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, citizenship, immigration status, or any other protected class when it comes to employment practices, including hiring.
Employment at the Company is contingent upon satisfactory completion of reference and background checks, and on your ability to prove your identity and authorization to work in the U.S. for the Company. Employees must comply with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services employment verification requirements, and, therefore, they must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 at the start of employment and re-verify authorization to work periodically.
Separate from this I-9 process, this position entails access to certain technology and technical data that is restricted under U.S. export control laws and regulations. Employment or continued employment may be conditioned on your legal authorization to work with or have access to export control materials as necessary to perform your job.