Director Of Communication (All gender)
Aviation faces an existential crisis due to its climate impact, with no apparent roadmap for meaningful carbon reduction, let alone meeting Paris Agreement emissions targets. That is where Universal Hydrogen (UH2) comes into play.
We are looking for someone who can help us craft and execute our external communications campaigns to get the message out. You would be in charge of all things comms, ranging from mainstream media to social media to grassroots campaigns, and of course including the development of content that helps tell our story. We are looking for someone who brings fresh thinking, a hands-on can-do attitude, and passion for our mission that translates into a burning impatience. You will start working directly with our leadership team, and develop and grow our comms team as the company scales in the coming months and years. You will need to be a jack of all trades to succeed. Most of us at Universal Hydrogen are. If you thrive in a mission-driven, high-performance environment, you’ll love it here.
The Universal Hydrogen team is composed of talented and conscientious individuals who share a passion for meaningful work and a maverick spirit. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. Our offices are in the Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles and Toulouse–Blagnac Airport in Toulouse, France
About the Role
Are you eager to become a strategic member of a company enabling the next age of aviation? If you want to make a monumental impact on the growth and development of an agile, high-impact and high performance aerospace company, then this job is for you!
As Communications Director, you’ll report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and be responsible for executing all communications strategies to position and promote the company and its cutting-edge technology development. As we are developing technologies and solutions that will impact the future of aviation, you’ll need to develop a solid understanding of our teams and their goals to guarantee success throughout all aspects of your role.
This role encompasses multiple responsibilities: 1) developing and executing communication strategies to position and promote Universal Hydrogen as an organization and its core technology development activities; 2) crafting and implementing an internal communications plan with the goal of positioning UH2; 3) driving internal communication efforts inside the company to foster employee well-being and engagement, and 4) building out and coordinating a network of external providers to help you deliver tactically on your communication strategy and plan.
This opportunity is unlike any other at a top aerospace company - it offers a direct line of communication to Universal Hydrogen leadership, as well as unmatched visibility to the broader, international organization. Because of this, you’ll need tremendous drive to network and cultivate relationships across the teams and key social networks. You’ll have access to all the perks Universal Hydrogen has to offer, including full benefits, unlimited paid time off and best-in-class technology to execute your role with ease, speed and confidence. If you’re hungry, driven and ready to make a name for yourself, we want you for this role!
- Build a communication strategy that supports Universal Hydrogen’s business strategy and execute it
- Craft communication assets, such as blog posts, social media posts, slide decks, talking points/LTTs, etc
- Manage UH2’s digital presence (website / blogs / social media accounts); create and monitor content marketing campaigns across multiple channels, including the creation of multimedia content (video, photo, written, audio, etc) for all campaigns and digital real estate
- Develop Universal Hydrogen’s employer branding efforts to promote recruiting and hiring efforts
- Assess events,awards and speaking opportunities to effectively position the company and leadership; conduct or manage media training of UH2 leadership and employees in publicly facing roles
- Monitor content performance via Google Analytics and other software to proactively inform and improve our content performance and engagement
- Develop internal messaging and related assets such as Slack announcements and talking points
- Assist the company in crafting specialized communications plans tailored to their objectives
- Coordinate with UH2 counterparts at our US site or Toulouse site to promote consistent messaging that respects the UH2 brand and image
- Provide direction and oversight to communications and media service providers
- Determine efficacy of communications-related expenditures using key performance indicators
- A university degree or equivalent combination of education and comparable work experience in marketing, communications, advertising or public relations
- At least 10+ years of ambitious work experience spanning media relations, content and digital marketing, branding, employee and crisis communications
- Experience supporting startups and large companies in multiple domains
- Meaningful exposure to aerospace and technology
- Demonstrated ability to develop communication strategies and execute them
- Tech savvy and highly adaptable, so you can develop new solutions that match the evolving nature of UH2
- At ease with Google Suite, Slack
- Experience with social amplification opportunities (including LinkedIn ads, X Cards, etc.) and social media management software
- Solid understanding of SEO best practices and Google Analytics
- Strategic, creative thinker who enjoys rolling up their sleeves to get things done
- Strong project management, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously
- Self-starter who is eager to dive in immediately upon arrival
- Dynamic, engaging personality; able to operate independently and as part of multiple teams both internally and in various locations worldwide
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to compose high quality content and correspondence in organization-specific tone and voice
- Ability to translate complex technical terminology and concepts into content digestible by non-technical experts
- International experience and/or a strong exposure to foreign cultures
- A healthy skepticism for process and bureaucracy
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
- Existing network of contacts within key media outlets for emerging technology and renewable energy trade press is a plus
- Video production and editing experience is also a plus!