Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
Vow is building a first of its kind cultured meat factory in Sydney. This factory will make Vow’s first product, serve as a model for all of Vow’s future factories, as well as act as a testing and training ground for new technologies and processes.
As a Project Engineer at Vow you'll be responsible for managing and delivering infrastructure projects for research, development and commercial manufacturing of cultured meat. You’ll use your technical knowledge and work with a world-class team to make delicious food that is tastier, more nutritious, more sustainable, and ultimately more affordable than what we eat today.
The experience you will bring:
- Demonstrated ability to deliver engineering projects FAST!
- Proven experience managing cost and scope to meet or beat very short timelines
- Knowledge of biological, chemical, electrical and mechanical processes, hazards and safety
- Understanding of design, manufacture and operation of electrical and mechanical equipment
- Understanding of industrial automation, including instrumentation and process control
- Experience in the design of electrical and mechanical systems
- Experience and desire to be hands-on in the fabrication/assembly of electrical and mechanical systems
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems from first principles in ambiguous situations
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science
Bonus if you have:
- Experience in meat processing, dairy or brewing industries
- Experience in the design, construction and commissioning of factories
- Delivered engineering projects of >2 million AUD
- Manage and deliver infrastructure projects for research, development and commercial manufacturing of cultured meat
- Identify and manage risks, ensuring projects stay on schedule
- Manage suppliers to expedite delivery times
- Manage project lifecycle and documents including requirements, schedule, budget, design, procurement, build, test and handover
- Determine requirements, prepare project plans, design solutions, procure equipment and materials, oversee and participate in build, test and handover of solutions
- Prepare and interpret floor plans, PFDs, P&IDs, electrical schematic drawings, GA drawings, 3D models, spool and isometric drawings, manufacturing drawings
- Be hands on with assembly, installation and commissioning of equipment
- Be flexible to change the direction of the project and your own work as business needs change
What success looks like:
- In the first month, you’ll own a workstream in an existing project and deliver obvious time/cost savings and quality improvements for the project
- By the end of 3 months, you’ll be managing an infrastructure project from end-to-end
- In your first year, you’ll deliver multiple infrastructure projects that enable a world-first cultured meat product, materially reduce cost and improve quality in existing products and processes.
Vow, more than just a job.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-led dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s top scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Blackbird Ventures, Square Peg Capital, Grok Ventures, Tenacious Ventures, P7 Ventures, Toyota Ventures, and PeakBridge VC.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 8 weeks of paid caregiver leave and an additional 8 weeks paid leave for the birth giver.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas team members and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to choose the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited personal leave. At Vow we recognise that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess.
- An awesome converted warehouse “campus” in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, manufacturing line, free snacks, a culinary centre, and professional-grade coffee machine in our cafe, as well as a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply! If not, but you know someone who might be interested, please share this post.
Something looks off?