Food Development Lead
Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
We are seeking a Food Development Lead at Vow. In this role, you will drive innovation and guide the team in crafting never-before-seen food products that capture the hearts and palates of consumers. As a key member of our Product Development team, you will have the opportunity to shape the future of food and contribute to our mission of sustainable, animal-free meat production.
The experience/skills you will bring:
- 8+ years in developing and delivering food products that have resonated with consumers.
- Ability to lead, support and work collaboratively within a cross-functional team of chefs, scientists, engineers and manufacturing technicians.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using functional materials to achieve exceptional textures in food products.
- A passion for pushing the boundaries of food and a willingness to explore unconventional approaches.
- Strong project management skills to guide product development from concept to market while anticipating issues before they occur.
- Spearhead the creation of new foods by working with and supporting a talented team of food scientists, chefs and engineers to deliver captivating textures, tastes and stories.
- Workshop new ideas alongside product marketing and showcase prototypes to customers to quickly gather feedback.
- Identify technical gaps (e.g. textures, flavours, delivery) within the team and set-up projects to address them.
- Work closely with scientists, engineers, designers and suppliers to integrate cutting-edge technologies and materials into food product development.
What success looks like:
Within 3 months, you will:
- Have identified areas for improvement within the team and created a plan to achieve then
- Improved the sensory properties of projects already underway
- Run multiple ideas through benchtop prototypes
Within 6 months, you will:
- Have kicked off new product development projects with clearly defined milestones and differentiated briefs
- Have taken multiple prototypes through consumer testing to identify the best concepts
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have taken multiple products from idea through to manufacture and sale that receive positive consumer feedback
- Have had an imprint on all new foods being developed by Vow
VOW, MORE THAN JUST A JOB.
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-led dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to cultivate meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s top scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Blackbird Ventures, Square Peg Capital, Grok Ventures, Tenacious Ventures, P7 Ventures, Toyota Ventures, and PeakBridge VC.
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns equity in the company so we can all benefit from our hard work and future success.
- Generous paid parental leave. We offer 8 weeks of paid caregiver leave and an additional 8 weeks paid leave for the birth giver.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas team members and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to choose the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited personal leave. At Vow we recognise that sometimes you need time off to recuperate, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on the Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess.
- An awesome converted warehouse “campus” in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, manufacturing line, free snacks, a culinary centre, and professional-grade coffee machine in our cafe, as well as a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcoming office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzers to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.