Functional Safety Architect
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2023
Apex.AI is seeking an experienced Functional Safety Architect to lead the company in certifying Apex.AI products.
At Apex.AI, we achieved the world’s first safety certification of ROS 2 according to ISO 26262, up to ASIL D. We are now setting our sights on functional safety challenges of larger size and scope, working with the largest and most innovative automotive companies in the world on certifying complex software stacks for software-defined vehicles (SDV).
As our Functional Safety Architect, you will lead a world-class engineering team by designing safety strategies for our cutting-edge, functionally safe software products written in modern C++ and Rust. Software that your team certifies is a critical component in our customers’ safety-critical SDV implementations. Our customers rely on our ability to plan and execute safety as an integral part of our software development process.
This role is located in our Palo Alto office. Work authorization in the US is required.
What You'll Do
- Act as an architect of all functional safety activities, working with a high-caliber team of software functional safety, C++, and Rust experts
- Drive the functional safety strategy for the company
- Work on complex, industry-wide, challenging safety problems such as: certifying modern C++ or Rust code, certifying software libraries as a SEooC, continuous and automated re-certification of frequently released software products, and in-context certification of complex safety-critical applications such as ADAS and AD with our software products
- Elaborate on our company safety strategy to our customers
- Represent the company at conferences and standardization bodies (i.e., ISO 26262, ISO/PAS 21448, UL 4600), establishing Apex.AI as an industry thought leader in the field of safety-certified embedded software
- Understand the market and our customers' safety requirements and plan the functional safety roadmap accordingly
- Develop and implement a partnership strategy with safety stakeholders in the market, such as tools, operating systems, and libraries vendors
- Travel to customer sites and represent the company at conferences and standardization bodies as needed.
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering with at least 10 years of experience in a technical field with relevant work experience
- Proven experience driving safety and certification in an organization
- Proven software development expertise
- Experience leading cross-functional distributed teams toward achieving the same goal (i.e., ISO 26262 certification)
Great to Have
- Previous experience taking C++ software through ISO 26262 certification
- Experience working with external rating agencies such as TÜV Nord
- B1 level written and spoken German language
Apex.AI is a Palo Alto, Berlin, Stuttgart, Munich and Gothenburg-based company that is developing breakthrough safe, certified, developer-friendly, and scalable software for mobility systems. Our software products are based on proven open-source software, such as ROS or Eclipse iceoryx, so that we don’t spend time redeveloping what already works. Instead, we fork software that has been developed and proven in use by large developer communities. We then add what is missing: Functional safety, flawless performance, and support for application in commercial and safety-critical products. In order to do so, we have developed a proprietary process to rework open-source software in record time such that it conforms to the highest requirements of the applicable functional safety standard.
Distinguished by our experienced and agile team, we bring in the right pedigree: Expertise in modern software engineering to build software that scales to massive systems, leading know-how in software functional safety to make software reliable, experience bringing software to market so that we know what to takes to build actual products, and twenty-plus years of experience building autonomous systems so that we can take the perspective of our customers and know their needs.
We launched our award-winning first product Apex.Grace after three years in 2020 and have taken it through certification in record time for launch in 2021. We have more in the pipeline to revolutionize the use of software in the automotive industry.
See more open positions at Apex.AI
Something looks off?