Functional Safety Architect
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2023
Apex.AI is seeking an experienced Functional Safety Architect to lead the company in certifying Apex.AI products.
At Apex.AI, we achieved the world’s first safety certification of ROS 2 according to ISO 26262, up to ASIL D. We are now setting our sights on functional safety challenges of larger size and scope, working with the largest and most innovative automotive companies in the world on certifying complex software stacks for software-defined vehicles (SDV).
As our Functional Safety Architect, you will lead a world-class engineering team by designing safety strategies for our cutting-edge, functionally safe software products written in modern C++ and Rust. Software that your team certifies is a critical component in our customers’ safety-critical SDV implementations. Our customers rely on our ability to plan and execute safety as an integral part of our software development process.
This role is located in our Munich office. Work authorization in Germany is required.
What You'll Do
- Act as an architect of all functional safety activities, working with a high-caliber team of software functional safety, C++, and Rust experts
- Drive the functional safety strategy for the company
- Work on complex, industry-wide, challenging safety problems such as: certifying modern C++ or Rust code, certifying software libraries as a SEooC, continuous and automated re-certification of frequently released software products, and in-context certification of complex safety-critical applications such as ADAS and AD with our software products
- Elaborate on our company safety strategy to our customers
- Represent the company at conferences and standardization bodies (i.e., ISO 26262, ISO/PAS 21448, UL 4600), establishing Apex.AI as an industry thought leader in the field of safety-certified embedded software
- Understand the market and our customers' safety requirements and plan the functional safety roadmap accordingly
- Develop and implement a partnership strategy with safety stakeholders in the market, such as tools, operating systems, and libraries vendors
- Travel to customer sites and represent the company at conferences and standardization bodies as needed.
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering with at least 10 years of experience in a technical field with relevant work experience
- Proven experience driving safety and certification in an organization
- Proven software development expertise
- Experience leading cross-functional distributed teams toward achieving the same goal (i.e., ISO 26262 certification)
Great to Have
- Previous experience taking C++ software through ISO 26262 certification
- Experience working with external rating agencies such as TÜV Nord
- B1 level written and spoken German language
Apex.AI is an international developer of safety-certified base software, enabling a faster transition to software-defined vehicles and software-defined mobility. The company’s software products are based on proven open-source software, such as ROS or Eclipse iceoryx. Through a proprietary process, we add what is necessary to support commercial and safety-critical applications such as functional safety, real-time determinism and flawless performance.
Distinguished by our experienced and agile team, we bring in the right pedigree: Expertise in modern software engineering to build software that scales to massive systems, leading know-how in software functional safety to make software reliable, experience bringing software to market so that we know what to takes to build actual products, and twenty-plus years of experience building autonomous systems so that we can take the perspective of our customers and know their needs.
The company’s headquarters is located in Palo Alto, CA, with offices in Berlin, Munich, Stuttgart in Germany, Gothenburg in Sweden, Tokyo in Japan and Pangyo in South Korea. To date, Apex.AI has raised over $75 million USD from world-class venture, financial and strategic investors including AGCO, Airbus Ventures, Canaan, Continental AG, Daimler Truck, HELLA Ventures, Jaguar Land Rover’s InMotion Ventures, Lightspeed, Orillion, Toyota Ventures, Volvo Group Venture Capital and ZF.