Health, Safety & Environmental Manager
e-Zinc is an energy storage venture based in Toronto with a breakthrough technology poised to disrupt the market. As the global energy grid moves to higher levels of penetration of renewable energy, there will be an exponential increase in demand for low-cost, flexible, long-duration energy storage. This is the market targeted by e-Zinc, the first in the world to “metalize” electricity.
e-Zinc is on an incredible trajectory, which is illustrated by many significant funding and award milestones that recognize its unique technology and strong business plan, including:
- Raised more than CAD $75M in equity
- Investors include Toyota Ventures, Eni Next, BDC, Evok Innovations, and Anzu Partners
- Named to the Global Cleantech 100 two years in a row (2022 and 2023) as one of the top 100 most promising cleantech companies across the world
- $1M grand prize winner of Impact Canada's Charging the Future Challenge
- Won a $1.6M grant through Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Awarded a $2M grant from Sustainable Technology Development Canada
- Won a USD $1.3M grant through California Energy Commission
Now that the company is well-capitalized, e-Zinc is now looking to expand its talented team to bring its technology to market to support the renewable energy transformation.
e-Zinc is searching for an experienced and energized Health, Safety & Environmental professional to play a critical role to support growing our organization with a safety-first culture. This person will work across the organization and collaborate with all departments to lead health, safety and environmental programs.
Reporting to the VP People & Culture, the Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) Manager will play an important role building the health, safety and environmental structure and culture at a fast-growing start-up organization with operations across multiple facilities. e-Zinc will look to this position to bring technical expertise, share best practices and design innovative approaches in our production, lab and office areas to ensure not only compliance but also build strong health, safety and environmental practices into our organizational culture.
Position scope and responsibilities
- Driving cultural change within the organization and supporting operations to strive for a Zero Incident safety culture
- Implement best practices and new ideas to design robust health, safety & environmental programs and strategies for a growing organization
- As a certified member, facilitate monthly site Joint Health & Safety Committee team meetings and is actively involved in the implementation of assigned corrective actions that come out of the meetings
- Collaborate with e-Zinc's Leadership and JHSC members to identify opportunities, propose solutions and take actions to improve safety in our workspace
- Develop and implement new and existing health, safety & environmental related policies, paperwork, data, and forms including but not limited to MSDS, SOPs, Incidents, Job hazards, work procedures and government paperwork
- Lead discussions with external stakeholders including but not limited to government bodies, local community groups, contractors, etc.
- Manage environmental aspects including compliance with material supply delivery, storage and waste disposal
- Ensure that worksite inspections and equipment are in compliance and operating in safe working conditions
- Lead new hire safety training, including facility orientation
- Identify specific training opportunities in each department and implement that training in collaboration with the Department leadership
- Ensure training remains current and maintain training records
- Investigate incidents, manage reports and follow-up to ensure corrective action is taken
- Manage the worker’s compensation and return to work programs. Provide documents and direction to supervisors and managers regarding claims management
- Communicate regular HSE updates to the organization including creating monthly safety topics, sharing near-miss learning, environmental actions etc.
- Coaching and advise leaders and area safety supervisors
- Bachelor's degree or college diploma in Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental Studies or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of experience in HSE, ideally in a chemical, lab or manufacturing work environment
- Working knowledge of provincial and federal HSE regulations, programs and standards
- Ability to recognize hazards as well as advise on appropriate safe work methods
- Can travel and work across multiple sites in west Toronto and Mississauga
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines
- CRSP (Certified Safety Professional), CSSE or NCSO designation, or willing to work towards certification
- Experience and knowledge of ISO standards (45001, 18000)
- Experience in manufacturing or wet chemistry labs, ideally related to battery or new technology
- Passion for Cleantech and/or the Renewable energy field
- Motivated to strive and succeed in a start-up environment.
- Disciplined and hard working.
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills.
- High level of maturity, integrity and personal effectiveness.
Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives.
Studies show that individuals in underrepresented groups tend to not apply for roles if they feel they do not meet all the listed criteria. If you find you are passionate about a role and meet a good portion of the items listed, we encourage you to apply!
At e-Zinc we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where we consider, celebrate, and embrace diversity. We thrive in an environment of mutual respect and welcome all applicants.