Intellectual Property (IP) Manager
e-Zinc is an energy storage venture based in Toronto with a breakthrough technology poised to disrupt the market. As the global energy grid moves to higher levels of penetration of renewable energy, there will be an exponential increase in demand for low-cost, flexible, long-duration energy storage. This is the market targeted by e-Zinc, the first in the world to “metalize” electricity.
e-Zinc is on an incredible trajectory, which is illustrated by many significant funding and award milestones that recognize its unique technology and strong business plan, including:
- Raised more than CAD $75M in equity
- Investors include Toyota Ventures, Eni Next, BDC, Evok Innovations, and Anzu Partners
- Named to the Global Cleantech 100 three years in a row (2022-2024) as one of the top 100 most promising cleantech companies across the world
- $1M grand prize winner of Impact Canada's Charging the Future Challenge
- Won a $1.6M grant through Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Awarded a $2M grant from Sustainable Technology Development Canada
- Won a USD $1.3M grant through California Energy Commission
Now that the company is well-capitalized, e-Zinc is now looking to expand its talented team to bring its technology to market to support the renewable energy transformation.
Opportunity & Accountability
e-Zinc is searching for a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to join our energy storage start-up as the Intellectual Property (IP) Manager (part-time position 2-3 days per week). As e-Zinc’s IP Manager, you will play a critical role in managing e-Zinc’s intellectual property portfolio, identifying opportunities for new patents, trade secrets, etc., and ensuring that the company stays ahead of the competitive landscape.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, you will work closely with our technology teams, inventors, and patent attorneys to build an impenetrable moat around our IP and protect our innovative long duration energy storage technologies.
Position scope and responsibilities
- Closely follow the competitive IP landscape for long duration energy storage technologies, conduct regular research, maintain e-Zinc’s IP tracking matrix, and stay up to date with the latest developments and trends.
- Perform IP white spacing for the company, conducting comprehensive analysis to identify whitespace opportunities and areas where our technologies can be further protected.
- Work closely with e-Zinc’s technology team. Proactively harvest patent and trade secret ideas from the company's technology teams, fostering a culture of innovation and IP awareness throughout the organization.
- Identify opportunities for patents, trade secrets, or publishing opportunities working closely with inventors and technology teams to identify novel and protectable aspects of our energy storage technologies.
- Lead and facilitate regular IP harvesting sessions with key technical team members/inventors.
- Ensure alignment of IP and IP protection strategy to business objectives.
- Assist inventors with invention disclosure drafting, facilitating the process of documenting and describing new inventions within the company.
- Perform initial drafting of the invention disclosures before sharing them with patent attorneys, ensuring accurate and comprehensive descriptions of the inventions.
- Perform freedom to operate searches. Execute strategies to ensure freedom to operate for e-Zinc’s core technology and applications. Conduct IP risk assessments of our product and work with e-Zinc team to develop mitigation strategies.
- Act as the single point of contact with patent attorneys, coordinating the patent application process and maintaining effective communication between the company and external legal counsel.
- Manage and maintain the company's IP portfolio, ensuring timely filing, prosecution, and maintenance of patents and trade secrets.
- Host e-Zinc’s quarterly IP Committee meetings. Present to the company's management team on the status of the IP portfolio and competitive landscape on a regular basis, providing strategic insights and recommendations for IP protection and business growth.
- Act as a primary catalyst to build an “IP culture” at e-Zinc by promoting, educating and implementing a sustainable IP development framework.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent (e.g., chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials science, chemistry) is required. A master’s or Ph.D. degree is preferred.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of intellectual property laws, including patent and trade secret regulations.
- Experience working in the field of energy storage or related industries is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting IP research, analyzing competitive landscapes, and performing IP white spacing. Expert knowledge of IP research software tools is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with patent drafting and prosecution processes, including experience in preparing invention disclosures and working with patent attorneys.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Proficiency in using IP management software and other relevant tools.
- Experience with inbound and outbound IP licensing and IP sharing agreements.
Other Skills & Attributes
- Proactive and self-motivated, with a passion for staying updated on the latest advancements in energy storage technologies and IP landscape.
- Analytical mindset with a strong attention to detail, capable of critically evaluating technical concepts and identifying IP opportunities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, capable of building effective working relationships with inventors, technology teams, and patent attorneys.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities, with the capacity to navigate complex IP challenges and make strategic recommendations.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Ethical and trustworthy, with a commitment to maintaining confidentiality and protecting sensitive information.
Studies show that individuals in underrepresented groups tend to not apply for roles if they feel they do not meet all the listed criteria. If you find you are passionate about a role and meet a good portion of the items listed, we encourage you to apply!
At e-Zinc we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where we consider, celebrate, and embrace diversity. We thrive in an environment of mutual respect and welcome all applicants.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.