e-Zinc is an energy storage venture based in Toronto with a breakthrough technology poised to disrupt the market. As the global energy grid moves to higher levels of penetration of renewable energy, there will be an exponential increase in demand for low-cost, flexible, long-duration energy storage. This is the market targeted by e-Zinc, the first in the world to “metalize” electricity.
e-Zinc is on an incredible trajectory, which is illustrated by many significant funding and award milestones that recognize its unique technology and strong business plan, including:
- Raised more than CAD $75M in equity
- Investors include Toyota Ventures, Eni Next, BDC, Evok Innovations, and Anzu Partners
- Named to the Global Cleantech 100 two years in a row (2022 and 2023) as one of the top 100 most promising cleantech companies across the world
- $1M grand prize winner of Impact Canada's Charging the Future Challenge
- Won a $1.6M grant through Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Awarded a $2M grant from Sustainable Technology Development Canada
- Won a USD $1.3M grant through California Energy Commission
Now that the company is well-capitalized, e-Zinc is now looking to expand its talented team to bring its technology to market to support the renewable energy transformation.
Reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer, the Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) Application Engineer is responsible for conducting techno-economic modelling of various use cases and customer installations globally. Models will consider the load and generation profiles, electricity and capital equipment and related installation costs of the entire system at candidate sites. The Application Engineer is expected to be the voice of customer on technical matters to the CCO and play a critical role leading business-critical projects.
Position Scope and Responsibilities
The successful candidate is fluent in all technical aspects of battery sizing and power flows in and out of the battery and is a valued technical resource to advise on product specifications and work packages.
- Analyze various end-use (loads and generation at customers projects both utility scale and BTM) to develop power and energy models to size BESS systems and predict energy throughput through the BESS.
- Develop techno-economic models that comprehend energy input costs, charge and discharge times, efficiency losses, storage times and resulting revenue.
- Model Active/Reactive Power, voltage and frequency deviation resulting from varying load, generation and battery maneuvering.
- Evaluate costs, system architectures, BOP, operational requirements for various customer use cases.
- Research and recommend AC equipment, software and partners for various field installations.
- Support engineering cost estimations and total cost of ownership of system to the customer.
- Monitor and report on the performance of e-Zinc field pilot installations. Make recommendations for altered charge control and dispatch strategies and other improvements to the design of future systems.
- Work with the BMS firmware team to develop controls that enable controls that follow optimal charge control/dispatch strategy.
- Conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) on PCS, Controls and overall BESS for the pilot installations.
- Work with Engineering team to author and maintain engineering documents setting project requirements.
- Support the team during commissioning, operations and service of e-Zinc BESS installations.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in the Battery Energy Storage or Electric Vehicle (EV) charger or renewable power industry especially on project design with strong working knowledge of BESS installation requirements and economic incentives in California, New York State, and other leading Energy Storage markets
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Electrical, Engineering Science, System Design or related engineering field
- Experience with Microgrid control, Demand Management, Behind-The-Meter storage, Electric Vehicle Charging, Solar and Wind power generation and related Power flow and Energy modelling
- Wide range of interest and knowledge base in multiple engineering disciplines; ability to quickly grasp and develop a working knowledge of the subject matter from chemical, electrical, electronics and firmware/software disciplines to develop engineering solutions at a systems level
- Superior time management and organizational skills
- A self-starter and adaptive learner
- Ability to travel to field demonstration sites and candidate customer sites as needed
- Advanced degrees and significant industry experience are preferred
- Solid understanding and experience in associated regulatory, safety and product design and development of new energy storage products
- Passionate about bringing new cleantech energy innovation to market
- Motivated to strive and succeed in a start-up environment
- Disciplined and hard working
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills
- High level of maturity, integrity, and personal effectiveness.
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
Studies show that individuals in underrepresented groups tend to not apply for roles if they feel they do not meet all the listed criteria. If you find you are passionate about a role and meet a good portion of the items listed, we encourage you to apply!
At e-Zinc we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where we consider, celebrate, and embrace diversity. We thrive in an environment of mutual respect and welcome all applicants.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please email email@example.com.