Software Engineering Manager
Near Space Labs
Near Space Labs is leading the next generation of Earth imaging. We design, build and operate a fleet of proprietary, stratospheric balloons called Swiftys. Our Swiftys fly to the edge of space to deliver high quality, highly updated imagery of our planet at down to earth prices.
Our innovations don’t stop at image capture. Customers need us to process and serve data in a format that is easily accessible for their data scientists, product managers, geographers, and remote sensing specialists. We make it easy for them to quickly and seamlessly evaluate the dynamics of our planet, climate, and urban environments.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to guide our Software Engineering team. This engineer should be ready to execute on roadmaps, scope projects, offer technical guidance and manage 3-5 engineers. You’ll be contributing to the architecture of our imagery processing pipelines, APIs and cloud infrastructure. You will be an early member of our rapidly growing software team guiding the evolution of our software infrastructure to support both internal and external products.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Working closely with VP of Product and CTO, translate requirements for new projects and products into specific scopes and see their implementation through sprints;
- Manage 3-5 engineers in our software engineering team.
- Ensure delivery timelines of engineering projects.
- Provide detailed technical guidance during the implementation of new microservices, cloud infrastructure, data pipelines and APIs.
- Establish rigorous practices on software testing, deployment and CI/CD.
- Ensure the integrity and availability of user-facing APIs and Data
East Coast of the USA
- Python, a bit of Golang
- Microservice architecture, gRPC services, Protobuf, REST
- Kubernetes, Istio
- Google Cloud Platform, Docker
- PostgreSQL, Google Storage
- GDAL, Shapely, Spatio-Temporal Asset Catalogs
- 10+ years of experience in a professional software development environment.
- Knowledgeable in robust and scalable backends, microservices and data pipelines.
- You have a deep understanding of testing practices, CI/CD, staging and test environments, fall-back systems and backups to avoid regression in user-facing products and systems.
- Experience managing engineering teams in a high - performance, high speed setting, maintaining team cohesion and culture,
- Experience growing other people and managers.
- Experience working with senior leadership and being goal-oriented.
- You have shipped code used by paying customers.
- Experience with geospatial standards and frameworks is nice to have.
- Experience in any of these areas is a plus: Computer Vision, Image Processing, Machine Learning.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 6 weeks of paid time off
- Annual team offsites
- Visit our New York & Barcelona offices
- Opportunity to attend a balloon launch
What we offer:
- An exciting startup culture where you will have the opportunity to play a critical role in building and scaling a one-of-a-kind technology and organization.
- You will be part of an enthusiastic, international and motivated team of professionals who are committed to building unique technologies, being rigorous, and finding novel solutions to interesting problems.
- A diverse and inclusive workplace where we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- A commitment that you will never be bored.
Equal employment opportunity:
Near Space Labs is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.