Founded in 2017, Toyota Ventures is a San Francisco Bay Area-based venture capital firm with $500M+ AUM that invests in early-stage startups around the world in frontier and climate technologies. We are on a mission to discover what’s next for Toyota by helping startups bring groundbreaking technologies and business models to market quickly. We’ve invested in over 60 companies to date, including Bipi (acquired), Blackmore (acquired), Carbice, Ecolectro, e-Zinc, Joby Aviation (NYSE: Joby), May Mobility, Nauto, Near Space Labs, Revel, and Universal Hydrogen.
Our firm is growing, and we’re looking for an ambitious Senior Accountant to join us on this journey. The role will report to the Senior Finance Manager and will be responsible for maintaining the Toyota Ventures’ entities’ general ledgers, and assisting with the management of the firm’s funds, including quarterly reporting, portfolio company valuation, tax returns, compliance filings and related business operations. You’ll also act as a bridge between Toyota Ventures and groups internal and external to Toyota, including finance, legal, tax advisors, and auditors.
It’s a critical role in a fast paced, exciting environment. The ideal candidate is a highly organized teammate with at least three years experience in a related position or industry. Other qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field, and an accounting degree. Knowledge of the VC/investment world is preferred. We are a growing team that embraces a culture of acting with integrity, clear communication, and bold thinking. If you’re looking for a challenging but fun opportunity, come join us.
- Actively maintaining our entities’ general ledgers, including the preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations and flux analysis.
- Assist with financial reporting packages, including fund financials, quarterly financial presentations, and LP reporting.
- Help document, implement and maintain appropriate accounting policies, processes and internal controls.
- Improve existing processes, controls, and documentation, suggest and implement improvements to scale and automate manual procedures.
- Work with our parent company’s Accounts Payable department to help manage fund expenses and management expenses.
- Prepare LP capital calls and distributions.
- Support cash management and treasury functions, including preparation of wire transfers to portfolio companies.
- Assist with quarterly fund reporting and consolidation.
- Assist with annual tax return preparation, 1099s and other ad hoc federal, state and compliance-related filing requirements.
- Collaborate with key-cross-functional partners including our deals team, legal, finance and others on a variety of projects.
- Support the accounting team on critical accounting projects, including the implementation of system improvements and other ad-hoc items.
- Assist in technical accounting matters to support the organization, specifically accounting and reporting the appropriate application of U.S. GAAP.
- Assist in financial reporting during the month-end and quarterly close process.
- Prepare ad hoc analyses as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and 3+ years of experience in a related position or industry. Big 4 public accounting preferred.
- CPA, or CPA candidate preferred, with a strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and fair value accounting.
- Solid accounting skills related to booking journal entries, monthly reconciliations, and month-end close procedures.
- Experience in venture capital, private equity or other investment firm a plus.
- Analytical proficiency in G-Suite and Excel; SQL experience a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, proactive and faces challenges head-on.
- Detail oriented and highly accurate.
- Organized and meticulous.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $70,000 and $102,000/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.