Portfolio Engagement Director
Founded in 2017, Toyota Ventures is a San Francisco Bay Area-based venture capital firm with $500M+ AUM that invests in early-stage startups around the world in frontier and climate technologies. We are on a mission to discover what’s next for Toyota by helping startups bring groundbreaking technologies and business models to market quickly. We’ve invested in over 70 companies to date, including AM Batteries, Bipi (acquired), Blackmore (acquired), e-Zinc, Intuition Robotics, Joby Aviation (NYSE: Joby), May Mobility, Nauto, Revel, and Stoke Space.
Our portfolio companies are our customers. Their success is our success, and we’re looking for a customer-focused professional passionate about helping startups. This role will support portfolio companies in areas like AI, mobility, autonomy, robotics, fintech, energy/batteries, hydrogen solutions, sustainability, and materials.
As a portfolio engagement director on the platform team, you will work closely with startup teams to champion their needs and support their growth in areas like customer discovery and business development while also working to deliver strategic value to Toyota. Our team values acting with integrity and empathy, being humble but bold, and keeping it weird. We’re also committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within our team, portfolio, and the larger VC industry. If this opportunity sounds like a good fit, we look forward to hearing from you!
This role is based in the San Francisco Bay Area (we have offices in San Francisco and Los Altos, CA), but remote work within other U.S. cities is possible.
- Working directly with startup teams to understand their needs and prioritize how we can best support them
- Assisting with the ongoing development of products and services to help portfolio companies
- Hosting kick-off meetings and recurring check-in meetings with portfolio company executives
- Creating opportunities for portfolio companies to engage with Toyota and Toyota Group companies
- Facilitating introductions to mentors, customers, partners, suppliers, and others as needed
- Tracking portfolio company KPIs and reporting on progress toward strategic goals
- Documenting best practices and creating resource libraries
- 7+ years of experience in business development, client management, corporate development, or a similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Proven ability to collaborate across teams/organizations to deliver on shared objectives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter who works well independently but enjoys being part of a team
- Exceptional organization and project management skills
- Previous experience working in the VC industry or at a startup is a plus
- Passionate about emerging technologies and working with entrepreneurs
- Ability to travel periodically
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $140,000 and $175,000/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.