Legal Counsel/Senior Legal Counsel
Founded in 2017, Toyota Ventures is a San Francisco Bay Area-based venture capital firm with $500M+ AUM that invests in early-stage startups around the world in frontier and climate technologies. We are on a mission to discover what’s next for Toyota by helping startups bring groundbreaking technologies and business models to market quickly. We’ve invested in over 70 companies to date, including AM Batteries, Bipi (acquired), Blackmore (acquired), e-Zinc, Intuition Robotics, Joby Aviation (NYSE: Joby), May Mobility, Nauto, Revel, and Stoke Space.
Want to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment where you can use your legal expertise to help drive better business outcomes? We are looking for a skilled and experienced attorney to help manage a variety of legal and compliance matters for our fast-moving, growing firm.
As legal counsel, you will play a pivotal role in advising the firm on legal matters, ensuring compliance with regulations, and managing the legal aspects of investment transactions. This hands-on role involves working closely with multiple stakeholders on fund formation, corporate governance, investments and other activities. It’s an exciting opportunity for a motivated attorney who is passionate about venture capital and supporting startups.
Our fast-paced team values acting with integrity and empathy, being humble but bold, and keeping it weird. We’re also committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within our team, portfolio, and the larger VC industry. If this opportunity sounds like a good fit, we look forward to hearing from you!
Toyota Ventures is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area (we have offices in San Francisco and Los Altos, CA), and we have a hybrid work environment with time split between the office and remote work. We are open to discussing remote work opportunities, but our preference is for our legal counsel to be in the Bay Area.
- Provide legal guidance on a broad range of transactional matters, including fund formation, due diligence, deal structuring, and negotiation of agreements
- Manage a high volume of projects and issues related to Toyota Ventures’ investments, portfolio management, and internal stakeholders
- Advise on corporate governance matters and assist in the development of internal policies and procedures
- Collaborate with external counsel and other partners to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices
- Work closely with other internal stakeholders on projects of importance to the fund as needed
- Stay abreast of legal developments impacting the VC industry and provide proactive recommendations to mitigate risks
- Minimum of 5 years of corporate legal experience, with a particular focus on venture capital, private equity, or corporate transactions
- Strong understanding of securities laws, corporate governance, and contractual negotiations
- Proven ability to provide effective, strategic legal advice and solutions
- Willingness to take on the full spectrum of what might come your way, with no job too big or too small
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills, with the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- JD from an accredited law school
- Must be active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States
- Previous experience in-house at a VC fund is a plus
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $200,000 and $269,000/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.